Saturday 11 January 2014

The Midnight Garden



Soft secrets whisper through the grass
as the night creatures stir
dreams fly from a hidden lair
And the seeds of tomorrow are sown


There must be something about January for its chill and drear seems to inspire me to dream of seasons past and to come - the warm kind - and to paint flowers. This time last year I called my 'Poppy Period' and it seems we have come full circle with the seeds of last winter bearing fruit again!

There are paintings in various stages of completion drying all over the lounge floor and calling me back. This one came from a messy experiment. It started life as an abstract watercolour butterfly, then I tried my new stencil and played with some spray inks. It was all set to become a piece of scrap when suddenly I saw the poppy heads stirring in the night as the fairies brushed past their stems...

Sharing with Sunday Sketches.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful painting Lisa. Having just been to the aquarium, the poppies sort of remind me of jelly fish. I too love poppies. We were in California one year and they are wild there. There were bursts of orange along many of the highways in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting, Lisa. I love poppies too. They grow on the sides of the road all over North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting, the poppies have really come to life here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this and I have a fascination with poppy heads too. Love how it has turned out. Happy SS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Lisa. The colors are some of my favorites. I also like hearing about how the painting developed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really gorgeous Lisa...and I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors you used! I am a new follower from the Sunday Sketch link up! Can't wait to see more of your work. If you have time to stop by and check out mine that would be great! Let me know what you think!

    http://www.artworkbyjm.com/2014/01/progress.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most beautiful piece ever. I clicked on the image and just gazed at it for quite awhile. There's so much beauty in this piece. Truly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...