Tuesday 3 January 2012

If you go down in the woods...


My mood is dark. I am surrounded by the gloomiest forest, creepers tangle around my legs and mossy knolls catch my step. I am lost and alone. It is late and the sun is making rapid retreat. It becomes the time of the night when mortals should not tread here. It is when imagination is loose. Fantasy and fairy tale whisper through the dried and creaking boughs. Story is here...

There are so few places in this over-populated country that remain 'untouched'. Where nothing has been dug or built upon, explored and exploited. Unsurprisingly, many believe our ancient woodland is the portal to magic where pixies and elves flit among the bluebells passing by the cast of fairy tales.

I took my imagination to the woods and let her roam past dusk when the secrets are revealed. She met a lady in a red hood whose vein and sinews are formed from the flora and fauna. She carries the wisdom of wolves and the strength of woman... Are you receptive?

***

I painted 'Red' last night - on the cusp of returning to the world of work this morning, she beckoned me into a land of fantasy. It all began quite innocently when I chose to dip my imagination into the woodland for this week's Butterfly Effect challenge. I pondered painting fairies wearing acorn caps or innocent maidens skipping happily towards honeysuckle-strewn cottages and hungry Grandmothers...

But the Muse took me on a darker journey. She fed me spirits and played haunting melodies to intoxicate my senses and lose all sense of direction. She bade me play and experiment, building layer upon layer. Together we created Red.

In the light of day she looks most sinister. What do you think?

31 comments:

  1. oooh yes, i do believe she is filled with emotion - i like the color splatters throughout...she's perfect for this dark time of year!
    I wanted to wish you a Happy New Year, too my friend...wishing you much joy and creativity in the New Year!
    xo
    - heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece does have a lot of emotion and the colors are just awesome. You've gotten a great start this year. Very nice. Take care and enjoy the week as well as the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes she does look sinister, and intense, and I LOVE THAT!!
    Wow - such talent and creativity in your painting. Thanks for sharing - I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mid-Winter's Night's Dream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful - what a mood. I think we need these darker moods, a silence and space - where we have time to indulge in the fantasies of hidden worlds and myth - to allow them to become more real than this crazy busy over populated world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks very wise, I'd say!
    I agree that there are so few uspoiled places to go to be refreshed...such a shame.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ladies and their accompanying tales - I hope they're in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So colorful! Love this girl! And your stories are so fun! I love hearing their stories.

    I agree with Jill . . . they should be in a book!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's wonderful, Lisa! I love her darkness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooo, Lisa! Looks like you held the wolf at bay with this one! Love your version of Red....the colors, the mood....but mostly, her wild, Wolfy eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree but she still has some innocence about her too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. To me, she has a mysterious quality. Beautiful work...loved reading how she came into existence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 2012 Lisa! I am enchanted by your painting and your magical words. Thanks so much for your sweet visit! I definitely have to see that adaptation of Great Expectations. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh she is a perfect gypsy but no not sinister at all it seems hopeful actually
    hola my friend
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. dark and intense, but not sinister. brave and passionate. a little stormy. love the colors in her face to much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She. Is. Gorgeous! Bravo! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think oooowwwww....and al the deep stuff everyone else has already said :D
    Glorious..I want to roam wild with her :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. she looks like an achiever...a girl on a mission...a hard worker...i love this...wow...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow such gorgeous work. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, fantastic piece - the colours are awemazing (a word I invented as my step-son always refers to himself as 'awesome' and 'amazing' when playing his computer games so I thought I'd simplify it for him!)

    I love the story you took us on through the woods and the idea of such mystical forces being at work there (until a bulldozer comes along to make apartments!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very dramatic and colorful ~ love your art style and written expression ~~ thanks, namaste, carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool colors on this portrait! Lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't even know what to say. Your painting evoke so much emotion. Yes, she is darker, and it is those darker characters that have something to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa! her cat eyes alarmed me, they are so alive! I love the colors and the mood of mystery and night that you set in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful dark colors! This has a lot of intrigue about it.
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you went with the dark faerie- she has so much depth in color and texture- I really think she is amazing. Gorgeous work (as always)
    xo
    Stephanie
    P.S. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous use of color and her cat like eyes are very intriguing! ~Happy PPF #2 Robin Panzer Art Studio 33

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooohhh I like this one much better than the blue. I like the dark.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hm, I don't think her sinister at all. She is full of emotion and mysterious, but she seems to be more on a quest. Or ready to conquer the world.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think she's beautiful. I love the way her hair extends down into the tendrils of the forest.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh she is really so full of life!!! The colors are just popping off of the page. I love her! Very magical.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...