Monday 28 May 2012

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?


Photo credit - Lisa Wright (me)

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

William Shakespeare

Follow that Lisa... Hmm... tempted to delete the Great Bard from this post since it is impossible to perfect any form of prose after reading his lyrical poetry. Oh well...

***

I scribble notes on scraps of paper sitting at the garden table. It is past 6pm and the sun still packs a punch. The birds are thoughtfully providing a delicate soundtrack now the mowers have retreated back to their sweltering sheds.

I put my feet up and lean back in the chair in a state of blissful indolence. The feel of the sun pouring its does of vitamin D into my skin is balm to the soul too. It has been a long time coming and doubtless will be all too fleeting but, for a few days at least, Summer is finally here!
***

And, before I forget... the winner of my giveaway is extremely appropriate. I did the Mr Random Number thingie and would should come up but... Sunshineshelle!! Serendipity :)

Image credit: Lisa Wright (me)

6 comments:

  1. isn't this weather just the balm we need? Amazing!

    I hope you are well and received my letter :)

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post, congratulations to the winner! have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your lovely winner ~ I just adore your writing... you never cease to awe and inspire!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that line...balm to the soul....sums it all up for me :)

    Big congrats to Shelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok... i promised i wouldn't shout...
    BUT I'M SOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY!!!!
    Thanks so much I LOVED that artwork and will be happy to put it up for everyone in the house to enjoy :) I also love this post, Shakespeare certainly has a way with words & you do too, a feeling of summer settled on my shoulders reading this... hang on, now I have a feeling I'm referencing John Denver LOL...
    THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH i'm using my outside voice... not 'really' shouting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a gorgeous inspirational post...I too, LOVE the summer...the warm breezes and all of it's loveliness poured into it! ( i did name my first daughter Summer)
    beautiful photos, too! HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...