Saturday 9 April 2011

A wird of Dahl and a skitch of Blake

We've been romping through the imagination of a mighty talented writer these past few weeks. My son has been studying the works of Roald Dahl at school. We wrote a story together called the Magic Sketchbook (wonder where he got that idea from!).
We're working our way through Dahl's back catalogue. Just recently we got scared by fire breathing monsters in the Minpins (which were so hideously frightening that they had to be constantly hidden in plumes of smoke), ran from ENORMOUS crocodiles (and celebrated when they catapulted into space), dug tunnels with fantastic foxes and wagged magic fingers at people with guns causing them to turn into ducks. It's been a romp!

When I had to think up a subject for my turn to host the Inspiration Avenue challenge, I consulted my imagination and it really had only one answer! The world of Mr Dahl of course.

It being another week from hell in terms of workload, I didn't have time to write and illustrate an entire children's novel... which was a shame... So instead, I thought I would try my hand at the work of Dahl's illustrator - Quentin Blake. They are surely a partnership as close as salt and pepper. I, for one, can't imagine one of his books not illustrated in Blake's trademark scribbly and spontaneous style.

It's a style a lot harder than it looks to emulate. It's a shame I didn't have time to do more, but here's a few sketches of people, a peacock and a palm tree. Somehow Blake manages to make them look child-like yet professionally illustrated; whereas mine just look like my son drew them! Oh well!

Now I just need to tie all three up into a story. I'm thinking of calling it the Peacock Tale...

I think this makes a fine case for going in Sunday Sketches too... Perhaps I should tell everyone my son drew them???


30 comments:

  1. Oh, all of theses are just a delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet illustrations, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! I chickened out this week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What - you didn't finish AND illustrate a children's book this week? I'm disappointed ... more effort next time please Lisa! ;)

    I really like your quirky drawings. I can definitely see the influence of Quentin Blake but they're still "you".

    And they are like children's art, yes, but I mean that in the best way - they're simple and fun and joyful. And simplifying can be so much harder than being elaborate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project. I love the little drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely drawings and I love Dahl's books - such favourites as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sketches to illustrate a children's story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the variety you included here, and yes, I think it's much harder to draw in this childlike style- I always find myself wanting to "fix" this or that and before I know it- it's all wrong. I love how Picasso said that it took him a lifetime to learn how to draw like a child.....so true!
    Thanks for this very creative challenge- I wish I'd been able to submit something :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great project to share!!! I sooooooooooooo remember doing these things with my kids...I have boxes of their work and am planning on putting books together for their kids!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet pics! I bet your son had a ton of fun with this. I used to love having art time with the kids. Now they're all grown up and are subjected to me constantly showing them the things I have drawn/painted/crocheted/knit/etc. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colorful childlike quality of these! I like Stephanie's reference to Picasso saying it took a lifetime to learn to draw like a child. It's harder than one would think. These are such fun, I especially like the peacock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great pics and great inspiration! I so want to go reread some of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol you make me laugh! haha I think your attempts turned out great and what a wonderful inspiration to the rest of us, Lisa. :)

    Happy SS! Hopefully your workload will lighten up some this week? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny! These are fun! I love the theme you have chosen here, too! I love Roald Dahl. Have a great Sunday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the the inspiration for this week! Cute drawings, the one of the boy looks like it could have been on one of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute sketches! I can see the influence of Blake! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work and inspiration Lisa! Not one day goes by during my work week that I don't touch or see a work by Dahl. So many good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful tribute!

    Oh how I wanted to contribute to this theme (I was so excited when I saw it). Unfortunately other projects got in the way this week...

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that is a fantastic peacock and the tree reminds me so much of the crocodile story :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think these do have a child-like charm without looking like a child actually drew them. I'd say you succeeded! I do love Dahl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! I love this style too! So glad you are finally on the mend. Be careful and take good care of yourself dear friend!

    Smiles and hugs
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun project and cute sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Roald Dahl.what I would give to have spent a moment in his mind..however, that would have probably caused mine to explode...so maybe fr the best :)
    I love your sketches,especially your palm tree. LOVE it!...its getting me dreaming of sandy beach holidays! :)
    I also love that your fairy godmother is french speaking.and why not indeed :)
    Thankyou soooo much for making me smile with your gorgeous comment :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice sketches on a well chosen theme! I like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Quentin Blake is an amazing illustrator and writer too. You've captured his style really well. Like you I wanted to fit a story with my painting this week but things have been a bit hectic. Maybe we should combine stories. Do you think your characters may enjoy a walk through my sweet land? Lol. Look forward to you writing a story to combine with these great vibrant illustrations.

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the title to this post...you are such a clever girl! I think the illustrations are cool...there are so many art styles to be inspired by and you do them all justice :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...