Thursday 9 September 2010

Finding stories

With just one texture/background I got from Playing with Brushes on Flickr, I grabbed some holiday snaps and created these evocative 'old' postcards!

Top original was over-exposed, but layering on this background and blending with a linear burn gave it a real vintage feel. It reminds me of old cine film my Dad took of my sister and I in the 70s. If you listen carefully you can hear the camera tape whirring around the projector...



This one turns from an overcast beach in July last summer into something far more atmospheric. But perhaps the colours are too bright. Shall I try adding a sepia filter?



Ah, now we're talking. The filter on its own didn't work. First I took out the saturated colour then adjusted the brightness. Then a warming filter added the effect I was after. Now there's story. What do you think? A postcard from Gladys to her best friend Edie in August 1939 telling about the incredible German artist she met while on holiday in Cornwall and their whirlwind romance. He's gone back to Berlin for now, but she carries his ring on her finger and the result of their love inside her. It will only be a matter for time before they are together again...

13 comments:

  1. These are wonderful and so are the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun! I love the vintage look from today's filters. Sometimes, I just don't want all that sharp clarity. Sometimes, I like the dreamy stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to display your art process. The evolution of your picture along with a great story ending! I really like the last photo and it does take your mind back in time changing the colouring!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very creative and i didn't know about all those flicker bits and pieces :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great fun! I love the new look of your blog! Great job on the caption in the header - love it!

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I love old postcards. I really like the first photo.

    And you have helped me with my "simplicity" challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool! oh i wish i had the time to learn photoshop. soon, sometime in the next few years i'm sure! i love the new look too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun. I still have not ventured into playing with photos on the computer but I love the effect you got with it. I might try some things for my sketchbook using filters with some of my original art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so wonderful. How talented you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! I always wanted to play with the brushes and backgrounds but never got around to doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures,I love the vintage look to these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super lovely..what a intriguing post..beautiful creations too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the first photo it just caught my eye. it does look like an old postcard wonderful effect.
    kt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...