Wednesday 9 November 2011

Getting around to it

No art to post yet for Art Every Day Month. I have been 'making', but just nothing worth sharing (maybe later in this post)...  I'm making a 'thing' and it isn't quite finished yet. It involves sewing which frankly is almost as unlikely an occurrence for a Lisa as Ronald McDonald becoming a vegetarian. Me and needles don't mix. Well, to be honest, it's not strictly the needles that's the problem - I'll happily take a flu jab or donate blood rather then sew on a button. No, the trouble with stitching and me tends to involve the thread and our little reisdent fae - the Knot Fairy. I do believe I've mentioned her before (and I understand that she has many siblings scattered in every corner of the globe). I'm sure you're familiar with the tangles appearing in strings and cables, cottons and cords seemingly by magic!

My parents have finally switched onto the online age and are regularly reading my blog - Hello! My Mum will no doubt be shaking her head in despair as she reads this and wondering what on earth happened to all those sewing lessons she gave me. Sorry Mum - I'm much better with a paintbrush!

A bit later...

Sew... where were we? Oh yes. My 'thing' and knotted cotton. I am blaming my chums at Inspiration Avenue for this one - you see they set a seamstress challenge and I felt obliged to leave the old comfort zone while still sticking to my mixed media roots. And this is what I came up with - this 'thing'. It consists of various layers of collage glued and sewn (yes, Mum, that's right... sewn!) together and topped with wax. The buttons are glued in the wax as this way they will be far more secure than if I had attempt to fasten with needle and thread. It's a kind of rebels' button box or maybe a 'round tuit'... one day I'll sew them back on the items they belong to...

It looks a bit like something my son would bring home from school as a present for Mother's Day - something cobbled together from bits and bobs from the craft box. Maybe I'll go back to drawing girl faces on book pages...

Do you really want to see it?

Here goes... don't say I didn't warn you!

Mixed Media 'Thing' with real sewing! That's the Knot Fairy in the middle. She was trying to unpick my stitching when she got stuck in the hot wax - that'll teach her!

23 comments:

  1. oh I love this thing you created!!!! Lisa this would make a cool pin!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think we have to leave our comfort zones and I also think you have done a fantastic job.
    I bet you will be sewing and waxing in your art again tomorrow;)

    The thing is...did you enjoy it? Amelia would be proud of you.
    Gwen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait. you don't like this?

    it's COOL.

    i love busting out of my comfort zone. it's scary and fun.
    xxa

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is pretty amazing. :-) sometimes we just have to get out of our shell and be confident with what we can do. :-)

    xoxo
    Ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...how big is this? I agree with Diana ~ it would be a cool brooch. Provided it's not like 10 x 10 inches...it would look fab pinned on a lapel!

    The knot fairy is looking just a tad miffed to be trapped in that wax :) Serves her right. She has messed with me also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaarrggghh! Knots!!! I think I spend half my time actually sewing while the rest is spent in vain trying to keep the line tangle free.....

    This, Lisa, is a fun piece...I would totally hang it on my Christmas tree and enjoy the festive bits and sparklies to the fullest :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you got in a fight with the fairy... but clearly you and THING won. This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You traitor you sewed!!!! Those of us who are sewing challenged need to stick together and now you have forsaken us and joined the dark side...I am thinking of doing a painting of a first aid kit for IA this week because that is always the end result of me sewing... turns out sewing on a button and giving blood are pretty much the same thing for me... xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how cool! the knot fairy is sooo happy - she had you in knots and us in stitches!! thank you for participating in the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Lisa! You have been a very very busy bee, haven't you? I just visited your older posts and really enjoyed the company of your beautiful ladies. I just love how different the characters you've portrayed in each one. So glad to know your creativity juice is at peak! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE it! I know all about the knot fairy, and the little imps who won't let me even get the thread through the needle! Well done on tackling it in spite of everything! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I loved the thing which you created! OOch for that fairy ! I'm not too good with needles either but given a chance to learn I would readily learn it and implement it thereafter.
    Check this if you like -
    Am I Creative?
    Do you have the ability to generate new ideas, use imagination and make new decision?]
    http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/creative/creative_instructions.asp

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't be so harsh - it is actually good - a tribute to the knot fairy perhaps. Anyhow its good to stretch the creative legs every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Mixed Media "Thing" is very cool...an awesome fall vibe with artsy flair! Fairy Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leaving the comfort zone every so often keeps the creativity flowing...and I like this very much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your piece--I think it would look great adorning the cover of a journal. I am also glad that you finally put that knot fairy someplace where she can stop bothering me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well for not being comfortable with stitching--I think it's very cool and definitely artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I laughed and laughed at your post. For someone who doesn't sew, this is one swell mixed media entry. I LOVE it. It speaks to me, or maybe I'm just hearing the girl trapped in the wax!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa, Ha! The knot fairy and I are old friends! LOVE your "thing". It's very creative, crafty, arty - cool!
    Jessi xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Despite the pain it's caused you I rather like your "thing" Lisa! Using wax was a great idea and the texture the thread gives definitely adds something. See, you can do sewing, it's easy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL @ the Lisa and sewing assimilation, true for me too. And the round tuit! I nearly forgot about those :D
    I think your piece is cute and your discription made me laugh, so I would say it is a success all around! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. My god woman- is there nothing you cannot do? I LOVE this- can totally see it as a wall hanging suspended from a twig. It's very different from your usual work, but still very "Lisa"- LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm finally getting to visit everyone's needlework and yours is just delightful! So creative and intriguing and it looks totally fun to make! It's great that you just went where the thread took you and ended up with a lovely ... thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...