Monday 9 August 2010

Another postcard from Skiathos


With a subject as far-reaching as 'memory' as the prompt for Mixed Media Monday it was certainly difficult to know where to begin - especially when I've got 40 years of the things to sift through!

At first I drifted around conjuring up the world of my Grandmothers', then moved to a maelstrom of memory spiralling out of control from a poor girl's mind but then something just clicked and I simply reached back just a month or two and returned to the sunshine island of Skiathos with my son.
I collaged some ephemera from my holiday as well as a few travel-related bits and bobs I had lying around. Added the colour of the sea and sky using my water-soluble oil pastels (which added further memory since they came on holiday with me!). Then I was going to draw a dreamy girl (me) on top but felt that the piece was missing the real essence of my holiday - the real happy memories - the photos. So we moved indoors and went digital to finish it off.
Nice memories to take me through a Monday :)

21 comments:

  1. Good on you! You looked so relax and lovely. Hope you're feeling a lot better. It is only normal for us to go through different phases in our lives. The low tide means there is big things coming up. Watch out for another beautiful creative burst. Cheers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh you are clever!! I wouldn't know where to start!You must have had a very enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful collage Lisa! where's the ouzo? lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous collage of what sounds to be a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this collage!Sounds like you have some good memories of that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..super creative, super beautiful! Loving it..gorgeous work!yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~i l♥ve how you have your wee little one in the background...a silhouette casted behind you bringing forth those memories of time well shared with one another...beautiful piece to savor such memories...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful collage, Lisa! The colors are wonderful, and the lighting is exquisite that combines the background with the foreground's digital addition! Hope you are feeling better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is lovely and and just perfect for memory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done, and a lovely portrayal of your very special memory. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I'd love to go there!! Love your collage and the relaxed, "Okay, what's next?" look on your face!! 'o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How was I not a follower? I'm sorry, I thought I was! This is a beautiful piece and memory - I love all the etherial colors!
    Thank you too for your sweet comments, they mean a lot. Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Μια όμορφη φωτογραφία! Μου αρέσει πολύ καλά.
    :-)
    Cheers
    MARTINA xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I love your postcard Lisa!!! what a wonderful piece....and I imagine the place is magic!!! I will have to do some traveling one of these years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous piece! Your Greek vacation must have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely collage. It does indeed look dreamy. Ahhh, the island life. I just saw one of the Greek islands featured tonight on "House Hunters International" This is one of the few TV shows I watch. I love to dream about moving to far away places, such as Greece. I could adapt to island life pretty fast and I'll bet you could too coming from the UK. I loved the UK when I visited but is certainly can be cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look and feel of the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. creative collage!! i also have some memories of greece, thanks for freshing them up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just spotted this...was drawn to the word 'Skiathos' (my fav greek island - we love Kanapitsa :-)
    You definitely got the colours of Greece in your collage....just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a lovely piece, Lisa! Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...