Monday 7 September 2009

A new dawn

I wrote a list last night. It wasn't a shopping list or a housework list. It was a VERY IMPORTANT list. It was a 'MY FUTURE' list. My creative aspirations and soon to be perspirations. It was the beginning. Expect to see some career changes posted here over the next 12 months and some exciting opportunities opening.

I listened to an interview with Robbie Williams on the radio. He's back from a three year break after a not terribly successful album (at least compared to most of his records). Did he sound nervous, scared, lacking in confidence? Did he 'ekkers like*. The man is bursting with confidence. Success is written all over him (and yes, I can read through the radio - I'm clever like that!). I sat there and thought. "Here is someone who believes in himself". I'm sure he has attacks of the old inner critic like the rest of us but the important thing was that he announced to the world that he was proud of latest work; that it was great; that it would make you feel good. It wasn't big headed, it was just fact. Belief.

What does that do to someone listening to him talk? Well, I'll tell you. How can they hear a critic that he has so effectively silenced? They can't. They are carried along with his enthusiasm and believe too and then, they go out and buy his records. I, for one, can't wait.

I will be following this principle. I will BELIEVE in myself. I will let go of fear and then trample all over it. Now is my time and I am going to take it!

Finally, we get to the original point of this post. I found another arty blog challenge. Mixed Media Monday - what a pleasant start to the week. I was invited to develop a piece that evokes a particular time of day.

Well, after last night's list making, it had to be a new dawn.

I used to drive to work early down a dreary motorway and certain times of the year the sun would rise as I joined the commuter line of traffic. There's one spot where the road lies above the fields and the mist would hang like a magical see-through counterpane keeping the river warm. I wanted to recreate some of that mystical quality and also the remnants of dreams as you wake and rub the sleep from your eyes to take on the new day.

Acrylics, collage (old book and tissue paper), silk paint and oil pastel.

* I appreciate that many of my readers may wonder what kind of crazy spelling this is - it is in fact colloquial Yorkshire meaning 'as if'. Apologies to any Yorkshire folk as I've probably quoted it wrong - me being a Southern softie and all that...

16 comments:

  1. And it is so very beautifull done, what a sunrice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and hopeful- this piece carries the meaning of dawn to its fullest- wonderful inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your design is marvelous, and I wish you good fortune as you work to make your future your own. I look forward to seeing you grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you write..thought provoking. Like your dawn painting.you have captured the mist really well. Thanks for visiting my blog today..and keep believing in yourself as one day you will be a published writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely painting, i was immediately drawn in

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the bright promise of your future matches the bright promise of your art! This is a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow!! this piece is wonderful...I love the early mist that looks like that....it is magical!!!

    I love that you made a special list!!! it will make it fresh in your mind each and every day....

    ReplyDelete
  8. WooHoo, did you hear me cheering all the way from Australia? Yes, go for it. Ride the dragon to the new dawn ... And whatever the changes you set your heart on, I'll be here supporting you, my friend!

    Fantastic post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful art ... thought evoking concept! this is a fantastic post ... it just got me off to a good start :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really succeeded in capturing the mood of dawn in this beautiful piece! As for the rest - YOU GO GIRL! I can't stand the man myself, but as you say, he inspired you to create that list and I look forward to cheering you on as you achieve your goals!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collage is so wonderful, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a magnificent job you did capturing the essence of that morning view and your words are always captivating! Your dreams and plans sound fabulous - I've no doubt they'll all come true!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW what a fantastic creation, love all the colours you've got going on

    Thanks for stumbling across our challenge blog and entering your piece. Hope to see you over at Lotstodo in the future - Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous colours , you have certainly managed to capture that Myst( mist)ical quality .
    Follow your dreams .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this - the misty look is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Linda! Thanks for participating in a Mixed Media Monday challenge! Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...