Friday 2 October 2009

Rows and flows of angel hair




Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons ev'rywhere
I've looked at clouds that way



Pure poetry by Joni Mitchell. I had the song (Both sides now) on repeat while I painted this, my entry for Inspiration Avenue's weekly challenge - Sky.

I had too many ideas for this one, then suddenly from nowhere these lyrics popped in my head and I knew for sure what I would be creating tonight; though until I opened my magazine stack to find the perfect pictures, I wasn't sure how it would take shape until I found my angel hair. I loved creating this piece - from selecting the pictures, to sloshing the paint and tearing up and strategically placing tissue paper. I'm sitting typing with the colours of clouds staining my fingers (and still listening to the song).

So readers, take flight to the sky, float in angel hair clouds and let Joni Mitchell be your soundtrack.

Joni's lyrics are a true inspiration. I am so in awe of her mastery of language, her imagination and lyrical creativity. Why don't we study song lyrics at school? Strange, I feel stumped for words tonight. Maybe I'm just a little in awe of Joni.

And now, just as I have posted, I popped along to TGIF's challenge to find a white theme... Well, my clouds and angel hair is white...

Mixed media, magazine collage, tissue paper & acrylics.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely....love Joni too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo i love joni too! she's a genius! and a painter! your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, song lyrics should be a staple of poetry and literature classes. Certainly the lyrics we grew up with! For some reason I can't imagine studying punk or rap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And I love Joni, too.

    Song lyrics are a big thing for me. I love reading them. I,ve even found some interesting ones in rap (just remove the "music").

    Two other ladies who's lyrics move me are Sarah Maclaughlin and Mary Fahl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooooooooooooow this is truly amazing.
    So wonderful design. Love them.

    Thanks Lisa for your white entry to TGiF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, this is so stunning! Amazing interpretation of the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh superb and love the tying in of the verse's muse with the beautiful dreamy art
    hugs June xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. & ice cream castles in the air...I love that song & Joni has always been a favorite!!! Lovely job with your whites, the angels are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautifully created and such a wonderful song as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!! i love this!! ethereal and surreal ... beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous, very srong design

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. It looks so ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful - dreamy and soft, you've captured the essence of "sky"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh so ethereal and beautiful. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is awesome (especially from a Joni fan from back in the day!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your submission for this week's challenge is absolutely gorgeous Lisa and you're SO gifted! Sometimes I think the best words are the simple ones which reflect our inner heart - very well written as always!♥

    I also love this song, thank you so much for bringing it and Joni back into my mind!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...