Tuesday 27 October 2009

Am I a chicken noodlehead?

I've been catching up on the Joy Diet this week. It has nothing to do with chickens; this is just an excuse to double up my posting as I join the Three Muses Chicken art challenge. Or does it?

Might the word 'chicken' just be resonating a teeny tiny bit with me today? Did I or did I not tell myself to quit my job yesterday? Was a voice not YELLING VERY LOUDLY in my ear that my destiny is awaiting? I've got this sort of feeling you see, a very crazy one, that putting myself out of work in the middle of an economic slowdown could be the very thing I'll never regret.


I've convinced myself that it will open a door. I don't quite know which yet. Perhaps it's the barn door and the chickens will bolt for freedom. Maybe deep down inside, something is telling me that surely I could be happier anywhere else than in this role. It's not fate or destiny pulling; it's misery pushing.

It's all the fault of this Joy Diet. I've been munching my way through the chapter on Risk. I can handle this chapter far more than the truth and desire, it really is rather palatable. I don't mind a portion or two of risk. I think of myself as quite courageous sometimes. I reviewed Martha Beck's Risk Assessment tool. It told me this was a risk most definitely worth taking. Today though I'm a chicken. I didn't quit. I thought about it. I thought some more. Then I just booked a few days off to tuck my head under my wing and shut the thinking out.

Martha's view on risk is that it forces us into action. I could sit here and moan about my job for months, applying here and there for something, but I feel so low that my heart is not in it. I get home every evening with little enough energy to make the dinner, let alone forge ahead with plans for an entrepreneurial career. Lack of money, for one thing, would be a powerful motivator.

My gut instincts aren't often wrong. What adventure awaits if I quit? Destitution? I don't believe so. Something just tells me it is the right thing to do - that magic door will open and if I don't hurry up it will be shut and bolted forever. And, as Martha suggests: What's safe about not being who you were meant to be? Life is NOT a rehearsal.

Have I convinced myself yet? Or am I still too chicken? Or just a chicken noodle head? Answers on a postcard...

Finishing on the art: This regal rooster was snapped by me back in the Spring and has been 'on ice' waiting for his big moment. Then, when it came down to it, all he got for his pains was a quick bit of filtering in photoshop. He does look rather pretty though with his rainbow noodle feathers. He's off to flirt with the chicks now.

Ah, but then I felt sorry for him and asked him to pose while I got out my acrylics. He's not quite finished as you can see, but I'm a touch busy today...

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful artful rooster- - your art is always inspiring and you have me intrigued by this book now too- creative in all ways- great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are developing your very own art technique and I am loving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous roosters both of them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pieces both your roosters! You have very much talent in painting, I can see that. It was interesting to read your thoughts - I've quit a permanent job twice in my life without a new one in sight, and I've never regretted. So good luck for you in your decision-making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like Rooster number two !

    ooh difficult one. We have had to make some huge decisions giving up not only a job but a country we loved ( Spain ) but have NEVER regretted anything.

    There is no point in regretting just have the courage of your convictions and go forward.... good luck / or cluck !

    ReplyDelete
  6. you don´t only have that wonderful writing talent, your pictures also turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous boys! I agree, with the wonderful writing talent too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Both chickens are fabulous!! The first could have been wired up to work as a neon sign. The colours are amazing. The second looks like a scrumptious oil painting with wonderful hues and textures. (I enjoyed your writing too).

    ReplyDelete
  9. love both of your roosters! i also hope you find the answer that your heart is searching for soon. i hate being of the state of "no knowing what to do" but eventually the answer will come, it always does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both roosters are beautifully created. Wonderful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am way behind with that book, te-hee!
    love your rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending you good thoughts for the courage needed to make a positive decision.

    Your little chucks are both beautiful and look like they have an eye for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love him photoshopped, and I love what you're doing with him in acrylics, talented lady! With regard to your decision, taking time to listen to our inner voice most often is worthwhile, but it IS scary in today's economy. Here's hoping you make the best decision possible for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of your roosters are great. I like the one you painted the best though. He has such personality. Go with your gut, it is almost always right...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both roosters are amazing. I really love your acrylics rooster best. I envy anyone who can paint animals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous work,love them both!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you the wings of a dove so you can soar above this nightmare, taking flight into the destiny that awaits you!!♥ I truly believe that's where you belong - just listen to your heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and when you open your Etsy shop can you list this so I can finally purchase it? It speaks to my heart every time I leave a comment here! ;-)

    http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/allthewrightstuff/?action=view&current=tulip1posteredge.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stopping back to let you know I've left an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. TWo great pieces; I really like the bright colors in the first one...

    ReplyDelete
  21. what ever you do, have no regrets because it is regret that will make you unhappy rather than making the wrong decision and not learning from it and moving on - love both those roosters

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one decision you will have to make on your own! It can be an irresistible urge to leap. You will KNOW when it's the right time. Scary and exhilarating, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rather aptly you have a Zombie Chicken award awaiting for you at mine. Your are prolific with your creativity and it is inspiring. You already know that as one door closes another one opens, so back yourself and beleive in yourself. It sounds like you've only got unhappiness to loose. Life is too short not to choose adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful roosters and I loved your story on decisionmaking. It's never easy before one decides to follow ones heart, the reward comes after the decision is made, letting the wonders of the universe can reveal itself. Good luck on listening to your heart!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...