Wednesday 21 October 2009

The Yes Girl

The prompt for this week's Wishcasting (What do you wish to say "yes" to?) had to make me smile. Earlier this year I read the hilarious Danny Wallace account of his one year of saying Yes to everything - and I mean everything - you can read all about it in this earlier post. There's a Jim Carey film of the same name which I think must be loosely based on it.

Boy did this guy get himself in some scrapes, but he also experienced some things beyond his wildest imaginings - some not entirely legal! I finished the book resolving to follow his lead (a little). As I grow older it seems far too easy to say No. No is usually the safer alternative, requiring less energy and effort. No means you stay at home and watch TV with your feet up. No doesn't see you completing the Army assault course at Sandhurst, water-skiing none too gracefully and swallowing pints of sea water or clinging precariously half way up a rock face wondering if you are about to plummet to your death (yes, these I have in the past said "yes" to!).

It's been a while since I did anything requiring the wearing of safety equipment. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I recently got a bit scared on a big slide at a park (one that my five-year-old son happily went on about 50 times without batting an eyelid). It has also been a few months since I read that book and resolved to be a bit more of a yes girl. I'm not too bad at it though. Tonight, for example, I have been organising a craft evening at my son's school where I shall be selling my wares (no hard hat required).

I've said yes to the NaNoWriMo challenge next month. A little thing - we have to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days... I've also said no to a job opportunity in Dubai and a slot on the X-Factor (let someone younger have their chance of singing super-stardom I say). Well, one of those might be true... I'm doing OK, but in true school report fashion - I could do better. So, this week, I stand proud and say "Actually, I would like to say Yes more to things I too easily say No to". Take me out of my comfort zone and dangle me in the face of opportunity!

Oh yes, and if any Hollywood producer phones me up with the offer of turning my (yet to be written, let alone published) novel into a film starring George Clooney and Hugh Jackman, with a cameo role for yours truly, then the answer would most definitely be a big resounding YES PLEASE!!

18 comments:

  1. As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also Lisa. Saying yes to "bring it all on" sounds courageous and such a great role model for our children!

    Peace,
    WRO

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Wright Stuff wishes for herself, I wish for her also.

    Woowee! I love that yummy writer's wish, talk about big, go for it!

    And yes, that is quite bizarre about the coincidental heather....???!!! I think you're right, that it is heather but still, how often does that flower come up in a post?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Wishcasting Wed :) May all your wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my neck of the woods a craft table in an elementary school is definitely call for a hard hat! In Patti Digh's book, Life Is a Verb, she too, talks about saying yes to everything as an exercise. It does open up avenues we automatically close off but it's a tough thing to do. I'm still, er..., working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of saying yes to what you normally say no to.
    As Lisa wishes for herself, I wish for her also.
    Much succes with your writing - especially next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, all the experiences we could have if only we decided to say more Yes!
    As you wish for yourself, so I joyfully wish for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thats allot of words.
    But you can do it if you believe.
    As Wright Stuff wishes for herself, I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May all your wishes and dreams come to past. You CAN do it, just set yourself and your mind/heart to it. Now...if I could take my own advice! :) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you wish for yourself, so i wish for you also.
    Here is to saying YES to more in and out of your comfort zone. Can't wait to see your name up on the big screen, can you introduce me to Hugh Jackman when you are famous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you wish for yourself, so do I wish for you also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As Wright Stuff wishes for herself, I wish for her also.
    Oh oh oh you struck home with this one!! Oh hon..I am so here with you...I say no alot these days..to everyone. It is a combination of finally being able to tell people "No"..I don't really want to go hike the hill with this migraine and no the fresh air will not help thank you. And...doing lot of what you said..staying home with my feet up. I agree..more yes in our lives! Thank you hon..I needed the reminder..may you have some wonderful things to say yes to!! Hugh Jackman..or Gerard Butler..hmmmmm...
    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I love your wish! Incidentally, I've decided to say yes to NaNoWriMo this year, too. :) I wish you speedy typing and a great plot!

    As Lisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Re: your comment: My NaNo username is RebekahRF. I'm going to go add you as a Writing Buddy right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As Lisa wishes for herself so I too wish for her. And if you happen to need an actress for your movie, I will gladly begin lessons:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. as you wish for yourself, so i wish for you too
    and may that book become a bestseller and launch you in to the stratosphere

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this post... and your art in the slideshow on the side... I myself say no to a lot of things... I have to protect my time at home, and my art time... but we all go through so many stages... roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. as you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also ...

    blissings,
    mich
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As Lisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    My, oh, my, I can't wait to see what you get up to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...