Sunday 7 March 2010

Not everything is black and white


An intriguing play with this week's theme at Mixed Media Monday - not everything is black and white. Quite. Let's face it, life rarely is - there are always so many hidden agendas, particularly in the world of fiction and drama.

I've been reading the third in the Twilight series this week where for our poor heroine, life's twists and turns keep the poor lass in a state of permanent confusion where nothing is even close to black and white. If it's not a vampire declaring undying love then its a besotted werewolf. What a state of affairs to find yourself - and that's without all the maniacs trying to kill her.

Anyway, Bella and 'friends' inspired me this week. I thought it would be fun to create a soulful face and then take away that innocence with a drop or two of blood and some disturbing eye contact...
She began as a pencil sketch, then I gave her a bit more form with some acrylics mixed with glazing medium (so you could still see the pencil). I decided to scan her in before transforming her to a creature of the dark side. Well, dear readers, this is where something strange and mysterious happened. For look what happened when my simple black and white portrait went through the scanner... I don't know about you, but I'm sleeping with a ready supply of garlic tonight...

***

I loved the idea of creating a black and white piece with a tiny splash of significant colour. This is a fabulous theme and one I may continue exploring over the coming weeks. It is quite a challenge to reign in my love of colour!

If you were 'enchanted' by my entry last week and would love to own it as well as contribute to charity, well you can. It is currently up for auction on the Inspiration Avenue Etsy team blog together with a gallery of other treasures. All money raised is for Angel Faces, a charity that supports young girls with burns and facial disfigurements. If you have a moment do pop along and have a look at all the pretty things.

22 comments:

  1. She is very cool, Lisa--I love anything to do with the haunting look (in any art form)--anything that scares me--I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab Lisa - I hated Twilight! I found it boring about three quarters into the book! Ah well, there should've been illustrations like yours in it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! This is a fantastic piece and a great idea for this weeks theme! Well done it's a very striking picture! I enjoyed the Twilight books and read them all, it's so much fun to escape into a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, what a wonderful piece of art - mesmerising, intriguing and just a little spooky! You hit the challenge right on the head! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely unplugging my scanner tonight! Great sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    I love her. She's very striking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unique and thought provoking...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, very cool! I love your sketch and the addition of the acrylic and red color really bring it to life, so to speak . . . Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iehhh, don't want to run into her!!
    Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!! Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa,
    This is so awesome. Love it!
    debby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool Creepy. But cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic drawing as usual. The "dash" of red is just stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cool!!! fabulous drawing

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great face! ... particularly love her lips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow!!! this piece is wonderful...what a great and clever idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fantastic Lisa! Great artwork!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...