Wednesday 17 March 2010

A-tissue


Do mermaids ever catch colds I wonder? What do they blow their nose on?

I've been meaning to hook up on this great challenge site for ages and finally am participating in Michelle Ward's GPP Street Team. This month we're 'grabbing a tissue'.

I love using tissue paper in my mixed media work - in fact, it was one of the first additional media I experimented with when I began this exciting artistic foray. For this piece I had in mind to conjure an angel. I have some lovely tissue paper covered with cupids and some sparkly globes as well as some thicker golden samples. I gave her strong wings and soft hair but somehow the picture just wasn't working. The wings did not look like they would ever unfurl, much less fly. It's funny because I was working on this Monday night, just as I had written my post about being 'prepared to change our paintings', where I was talking about life as well as art. So, undaunted I quite literally ripped the wings off* and angelic creature of the stars became siren of the sea instead. I like this. There's so much texture and layered colour from the tissue - in fact, I can't actually close my journal now owing to the layers of tissue and the addition of some real shells. Well, a mermaid must have adornment mustn't she?

I'm still not happy with my noses. I want them to look all cutesy but instead she looks like she's been slapped around the face with a shark's tail. I think I may just practice nose after nose in my journal until I form one I'm happy with. I guess I would never make a terribly good plastic surgeon.

Mixed media journal page (well, sketchbook really since I rarely write in it!). Coloured pencil, acrylics, tissue papers, oil pastel, clear gesso, shells.

* No angels or mermaids were harmed in the creation of this painting.

17 comments:

  1. I laughed at your nose comment. I always struggle with noses. lol! I think your girl's nose is very charming. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mermaid, former angel. I know what you mean about facial features-I erase so much. Last time I did what this other blogger suggested-I scanned the sketch and saw it from a different perspective on the computer screen (I have problems aligning the eyes--one is more sleepy too, usually, and this helped) I also love using the tissue paper--it gives it that stucco look, and I also love the cows!! Are those people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. * No angels or mermaids were harmed in the creation of this painting.

    wahahahahaha!!! you are hilarious!! :) poor angel, reminds me of paul bettany in legion when he cut his wings off!!

    on a diff note, you've been tagged! in my blog :) it's quite a fun one, that's why i dare tag my frens :p play along if you wish ok :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, thanks for coming to play with our team! Great pages! Love the background. Love hearing your editing process turning and angel into a siren. Clever task to use tissue for hair. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is charming and very magical, just went to Michelles site and wow! what music, had to find the off button!!! anyway, love your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child I always used to wish I was a mermaid. Magical ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming mermaid nee angel! I think her nose is just fine. Her hair is glorious. I'd guess she uses seaweed for tissues, doncha think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok - Although I don't want you to fix my nose - I happen to like the one on your mermaid! Cutesy is over done. Let her be real!! Actually - my nose is really a bit like hers ;-) Good on you for ripping the wings off the angel. We all have to do that once in a while! Have a great week Lisa. I'm back on the blogs again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it i love it i love it !!!

    i personally as a mermaid can say that .... te-hee! i am just being goofy cakes ;-)
    hugs sweet you!
    i have been so busy moving but i think of you often
    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely piece!!!! I really like her nose and those eyes are lovely! I've just finished a mermaid that I used tissue paper on perhaps I should check out this challenge site too? I've become addicted to using tissue paper lately, can't get enough of it!!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely golden mermaid! Her pale blue eyes are so lovely. The nose looks fine. You're doing great with your tissue work. Well Done again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I love your description of your nose, even though I disagree. hahaha. Awesome, awesome page. Absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could draw as wonderfully as you! And thanks for commenting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too struggle with noses and the best advice I ever got was that most artists when they start tend to make noses to long so now I shorten them and they are starting to look better now. The other thing I forget is the ball of the nose. If you shade that the nose also looks better,

    Michelle's challenges are always fun, I am glad you have joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ! You achieved glorious texture for your mermaid, angel of the sea ! Beautiful !
    Cheers, Crusader !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her nose!!! She's beautiful.
    Love your blog decoration too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, the dreaded nose...I have problems with noses too. This is lovely though...I see no problem at all....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You write very well - and funny. I am struggling a lot with the eyes, noses too sometimes. Lovely mermaid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...