Tuesday 9 March 2010

Walk on the wild side


Don't you think there's something very exotic and interesting about foreign newspapers? I mean my local rag is pretty dull to me; but there's a real intrigue about a copy of the Ventura County Star I have in front of me. I've also got the Los Angeles Times. How glamorous does that sound? And check out these homes for sale in The Northland Age Property Express - at the moment I'm favouring a beachside property in Whatuwhiwhi with enticing views of Perehipe Bay...

Well they say one girl's rubbish is another's treasure and the packaging that came wrapped around some treats from California and New Zealand recently has had me intrigued enough to hang onto it - I am so rubbish at throwing anything away!

Some of the adverts make absolutely no sense. What on earth is this one selling? I figured it was some kind of mobile home until it mentioned the cameras and a basement...

So, I was planning a rambling post of this variety when serendipity turned up on my doorstep with an art challenge to go with it. The Three Muses are asking for newspapers to be used in our creations this week so I found an alternative use for all these pages other than planning my emigration to Whatuwhiwhi.

I was also missing getting sticky with collage. I present my Hollywood homage. This is Holly, she's just arrived in the City of Angels after hitchhiking from Florida F.L.A. She's scouring the papers for a place to live while she waits for her big break. She hadn't previously considered dental implants and wonders if they'll hurt. Maybe she should just buy a doggie costume...

There are many layers to this piece - just like Holly's story... Mixed media collage: Canvas block; newspapers from around the globe; a picture of Holly from a magazine; pink and aqua acrylics; some paper flowers; some sparkles; tissue paper; a feather I found in the street yesterday (I didn't realise we had pink birds in England); a little shining star (in the corner of her eye). The LA Times header was placed using a cool technique. I stuck some cellotape over the newspaper. Soaked it in water and rubbed off the backing. Voila, a see through transfer that still retained enough stickiness to glue right on!
I'm also rather obsessed with these colours at the moment - this will go rather nicely in my pink and aqua bathroom me thinks...
Said, Hey babe,
Take a walk on the wild side
I said, Hey honey,
Take a walk on the wild side
And the coloured girls say,
Doo do doo do doo do do doo

34 comments:

  1. OMG, I shall go to bed humming that one!! Your collage is brilliant - sexy pink and I wondered how you got your paws on those papers... I have newsprint envy Lisa!
    I said much the same about some of the funny ads in our local rag! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Makes me want to go searching online for foreign newspapers to see what I can find! Nice artwork, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming entry, Lisa. Whatuwhiwhi! What a coincidence. Our Muse Ann was in Whatuwhiwhi last week. I was laughing at my American pronunciation which would be 'what you wee wee', but she cleared that matter up and it sounds nothing like that at all! Great use of your bonanza of newspapers. Thanks so much for joining in....and that other person won't mind that you sneaked in first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'ts so nice reading your blog and how you 've made your Holly-piece !
    I hope that every one will enlarge it because it's realy Wonderful !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a romantic and sexy collage! Well done as usual. :)

    BTW, what is that thing about "dental implant" .... ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely collage, Lisa, like you I have a fascination of newspapers from other countries, too! I bet that beachside property was a price, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic collage piece Lisa- gorgeous colors and such interesting bits of newspaper - a sort of fascinating and beautiful recycling- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your so funny, Lisa--I love your Holly piece, and all of her layers--I want to know how her story ends up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I would re-subscribe to the local newspaper if it looked like as much fun as yours does, Lisa. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOooooo, how exotic - and how wonderful!! Lorraine, your picture is scrumptious. It has everything - beauty, mystery and luscious colours. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, this is so incredible. WOW!!!! I love what you have done, amazing.
    debby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great collage...super colors!!! That ad is funny, I think it might have benefitted from a few well place semi-colons! LynnF

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow!!! the colours look wonderful...I always want to add more colour to newspapers!!! I am in love with French Newspapers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow Lisa this is perfect.
    Wonderful work and design. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holly aka Lisa very pretty and uplifting piece sure to look gorgeous in your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. doo dooo dooo doo..great song and we will all be humming it today..really like your colourful layered pieces

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful iece, the colouring is fantastic, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic, and what a great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love french and italian newspapers! but now you have me humming a tune that I cannot get out of my head!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous collage my friend, I love everything about! The Hot Pink just makes it pop & the texture of the feather looks amazing. Good work & thanks so much for sharing!!
    Smiles,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. What I wouldn't give to live in NZ again - although I'm not sure I'd move further north than Auckland ;-) Yes - your ads are best used for your bright and happy artwork. How shall I blog now with do do do do do do do do do...going round in my head???

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous,love those colors and those papers do look more interesting then my newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful collage, the details are fabulous! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought you would like the paper, thats why I put it in, i was gonna put in the whole paper but it was tragic, always reporting the bad news, so I thought pretty houses would be nice."Whatuwhiwhi" is pronuonced fautuufifi and it is stunning, you should move here!!!!

    Loving the pink, so nice your still working with it, and great collage and no! I have not considered dental implants??? what are those??
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. you know whats funny, while im here commenting on your bog, i can see your over commenting on my blog!!!!! crrrrzzzeeeeeee
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful collage; it's so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gotta love serendipity - too amazing! I never thought of wrapping packages in local newspapers but what a great idea! I know I would love to peruse a few pages from afar. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Go for the beachside property in Whatuwhiwhi. Love this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...